Thursday, November 11, 2004

Friends, the true measure of personal wealth....

I have no idea what I would have done this past week without some of the best friends a person could possibly have. It's not that there was some major crisis in my existance or anything. Just that in retrospect, I didn't really realize how far my friends would go for me. I'm not sure anyone ever really does.

Stress was pretty bad for me this past week. I worked on mounting Mary's Wyatt Earp sculpture and preparing for the unveiling and the "Thank You" reception. This was coupled with trying to get a few things done on the MG to get it running again as well as working evening shifts. Then there was caring for Carolyn who is on complete bed rest and has to have her meals prepared and be taken daily to the hosptial for her Rocefin IV. Next the visit by the Zoom Communications crew from Calgary and helping them with their pilot filming. Last but far from least has been the financial pit that the arts council has fallen into and trying to resolve that dilemma.

Now the sculpture is in and all the preparations nearly done so I have a little time this evening at the office to finally relax my mind a little. The first thing that hit me was all the help and support I got this past week from friends.

All the Trail of Famers (Pat, Richard, Dennis, John, Soni & Kent) jumping in was sort of expected, but still tremedously appreciated. More humbling was having Dana from the office show me how to change tie-rod ends on the MG - having Joe - and Seth - and Alan - and Ryan - and Mark from the theater show up to help with loading the sculpture on the trailer and then, without being asked to, sticking around and pitching in as we struggled to get it mounted. Friends like Gene Kirby and JC Huckaby who jumped right in and helped out when things got a little sticky with correct mounting - Friends like Bob Hughes and his crew from Aquila who went way beyond that extra mile to install the lighting for the sculpture and seeing to it that we got the mounting problems ironed out. And all these great people doing all of this work for no remuneration other than to know that they helped with the Dodge City Trail of Fame or (more likely?) bailed ol' Jim out of trouble.

You can't have too many friends like these folks. Just having one like them is, indeed, a blessing. Thank you all! I owe you all more than I can ever repay. Please know that you can always call on me to come to your aid. Or just to stick a brew in your hand and listen to what you have to say. You are the salt of the earth, folks, and I wonder if I'm worthy of any of you.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home