Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Ruminations from the past week or so...

It's been a while since I updated my blog. I finally have the time and the inclination so here's what's been going on this past week or so.

* Carolyn first. She came home from Santa Fe with a Cellulitis infection in her leg. Four days in the hospital and then home on full bed rest. Each day I took her to the hospital for an IV of antibiotic and the progress is painfully slow for her. Finally, this past Monday, the doctor stopped the antibiotics and told her she could start using the leg a little but not too much. It is still really painful for her which makes me feel pretty helpless as there is nothing I can do to make things better for her. We'll just have to wait for the healing....

* We closed Noises Off on Saturday. A repeat from 17 years ago! It was a mixture of nostalgia (Don, Kent, Kelly, Carolyn) and bright, new futures. Jill (Austin) Smith played Poppy 17 years ago. This time it was well performed by Kent's daughter, Haley Ashcroft, who was about 8 years old last time! What a neat kid she has turned out to be! Man! It made me feel old being on stage with her, though!

The greatest surprise however was my closing night gift from Joe Walker. Boy, did he ever put one over on me! I won't go into great detail on it here. Just ask Joe about it. I don't think he'll ever get tired of telling about it! He actually wrote a song about me. He couldn't have paid me a higher honor.

* This weekend will be the Grand Opening for the Depot Theater Company and the Depot. I have the day off both Saturday and Sunday so am committed to helping during the day and doing the Halloween Cabaret each night. It should be a lot of fun. Senator Roberts will be there on Saturday since he is the honorary chair for our project. I hope I can get a minute or two to show him the Dodge City Trail of Fame.

For the Cabaret, I am doing a couple of my favorite Redbone songs - well, at least they were done by Redbone - "Ain't Misbehavin'" and "Crazy Blues". Great tunes from the 20s and 30s!

* Preparations are well underway for the Dodge City Trail of Fame Sponsor/Donor Reception and it looks as if we will be doing the unveiling of the big Wyatt Earp statue on Nov. 12th if everything goes right. There is also a film crew from Canada coming for this event and a look at Wyatt Earp from a motorcyclists perspective so the weekend after this coming is also going to be a busy one.

*Election day is fast approaching and the political crazy time is on full swing. The polls are all over the place and those involved have a million different stories for everything and a million different spins for everything their opponents are up to. The lies and truth stretching seem far worse this year by both sides than I have ever seen before - or is it just that the proliferation of news media available in this day and age means that I am finally hearing all the nonsense that was there all along? Who knows? I will be glad when it is all over but I am seriously concerned that the whole mess may go into litigation. If it does, that is the beginning of the downfall of our election process in this country. Once we let the courts decide an election (Wait! Did that already happen last election?) the legal system, with all its flaws and lack of public representativeness , will have put control of everything in this country into the hands of the trial lawyers. What a horrible thought that its!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home