Wednesday, April 20, 2005

I needed this....

The long awaited short motorcycle vacation is just about to commence. Of course, it's April and the weather will be somewhat contentious, but that's okay, too. I've got the rain gear. I leave right after work today and have about 900 miles to do this evening and tomorrow. Some new roads are in the works and I always like new roads. My destination is Sturgis, Mississippi and the Vintage BMW motorcycle get together at Bench Mark Works. I plan to zip down to Oklahoma City via the "Southeast Passage" and pick up I-40 at the Cherokee Strip. Then I'll head east on the super slab until I get too tired to go any farther for tonight. Hopefully, near Henryetta, OK. On Thursday I'll forego the interstate near Fort Smith and head of south and then southeast through Hot Springs, and Pine Bluff before crossing the might Mississippi near Greenville. From there it's east on US82 crossing the Natchez Trace and dipping south to the tiny berg of Sturgis.

I'm really looking forward to this for a number of reasons. First of all, is a chance to visit the Bench Mark Works shop and Museum. This is where the engine and transmission of my old 1964 R60/2 was overhauled. Vech will be doing some seminar type sessions on these old BMW motorcycles and I sure could use the experience as I finish putting mine back together. The other great thing will be the people. Of the ones I know about, I am most excited to see my old friend Ed Youngblood of AMA fame from back in the 1970's. After that, of course, Vech, himself I've only talked with via telephone. Also in attendance will be Mark Huggett from Switzerland from whom I've purchased parts for these old bikes. He will be doing some seminars too, I think. Then too, there will be a few of the folks from my Yahoo listserv "slash2" in attendance. It will be great to put a face with some of the names I see on line regularly. Finally, I just need to get away from the overload I've had lately working on Trail of Fame things. Just a short breather to get my energy back and some renewed vigor.

As I look through the weather for the trip and the event, I see we will have to deal with a cold front and most likely some thunderstorms Friday afternoon and overnight. The trip home on Sunday and Monday also appears to be doomed to some rain. The numerical weather predicition models are forecasting a lot of rain with a new cyclone moving out of the southern Rockies into the plains. Of course, a lot will depend upon the track of the low as to where the most rain is. All this won't make any difference to me, however. I wouldn't cancel this trip for rain. Like I've done many times before, I'll just enjoy the trip regardless of the weather.

In some ways, being a weather forecaster and having a good idea what to expect is a curse. That's because you know you are going to proceed in spite of the weather. Knowing what weather you are going to have to face is worse than just stumbling into it!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home